"I will live with a heart of integrity in my house." Psalm 101:2b

Welcome!

'Hope you'll stay a while!

About Me

My photo
I am a student of Jesus, the wife of a wonderful rocker, Tracey, and stay at home momma to our two sweet things, Remy & Halle.
Join the Compassion Blogger Network
EverythingtheBook.com
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

the good dishes

Did you grow up in a home that had 'good dishes'? You know, you have a set of dishes that were used every day, the unbreakable work horses of the family kitchen. And then there were the good dishes, the ones that only came out on special occasions. I have heard of couples that register for beautiful china and then never use them for fear of breaking them, of knives scarring their delicate surfaces.

But dishes are made to serve, to hold things, to present an offering to the one who sits at their place. What good is having dishes if they aren't used?

I am thankful that my mom was an awesome example in this department. We had a set of every day dishes and good dishes, but my mom found many reasons to celebrate. The pretty flowered set wasn't just reserved for 'special' days or visitors, but rather ordinary days were made extraordinary by the feasts prepared and served on those delicate plates for even our small family of four. I can remember coming home to elaborate teas prepared for me and a friend and served on those pink plates. All of living could be an occasion to bring out the special.

So I've been thinking about this concept in my own life & home. How much of myself, my serving, do I reserve like those 'good dishes'? Am I saving them for some occasion that may never arise and missing the moments that have the potential to be grand right in front of me? What good is having these dishes, these gifts, if they aren't serving the ones I'm called to serve? If I'm called to do everything in life to God's Glory, am I glorifying Him by keeping some things locked away?

1 Peter 4: 10-11 "Based on the gift each one has received, use it to serve others, as good managers of the varied grace of God. If anyone speaks, it should be as one who speaks God's words; if anyone serves, it should be from the strength God provides, so that God may be glorified through Jesus Christ in everything."

So how will you be a good manager of the gifts God has given you? I don't want to hide them away, waiting, while my ministry is here and now!! I'm looking at my family today in light of these verses and thinking of ways that I can celebrate them and serve them, even today, in ways that will glorify God. By expressing my gratitude to Him and using what He's placed in my life, I can lift Him up, even in the moments when life just seems to be so daily.

And just for the record, we only have one set of dishes. (And I love them!)


1 comment:

  1. Phooey, I had a comment ready to go, but it disappeared somewhere.

    Short version of something I heard many years ago:
    Special dishes aren't just for special occasions; special dishes are for special people!

    That became a bit of a mantra at our house.

    ReplyDelete